If you have a dog and are reluctant or unable to install a fence around your yard, a wireless electric dog fence may be your best option. Not only are many of them easy to install, but they keep your family pet safe. It can be difficult to choose the best pet containment system, especially when you consider all the options that are available. To make the process easier, the following article looks at the 5 best wireless electric dog fences based on features and user reviews.
1. PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System, PIF-300
Often referred as the PIF-300, this PetSafe wireless fence is considered to be one of the best on the market and is currently the best selling wireless dog fence on Amazon.
- Portable and covers an adjustable circular area of up to 180 feet or ½ acre in diameter
- Safe for pets weighing more than 8 pounds, the collar is lightweight
- Emits a constant radio signal from up to 90 feet in each direction to let your dog know he is approaching an unsafe area and provides a startling, but safe static correction if he continues
- Automatic shutoff
- Waterproof receiver
- Includes training manual
- Easy to install with no cables, stakes, digging, etc.
Priced at $299, you can purchase the PIF-300 for around $260. Although expensive, most users are in agreement that it worth every penny. If fact, numerous reviewers state they really only needed it for a couple a few months before their dog was knew not to overstep his boundaries.
2. Perimeter Technologies Wire-Free Wi-Fi Dog Fence
Designed to be used by dogs weighing from 10 pounds to 130 pounds, Perimeter allows you to select different settings based on your dog’s weight and considers itself to be the most advanced collar available.
- Battery charger which is built into the Transmitter Base Smart Station
- Signal chips constantly link the distance between the Smart Station and your dog and reminds him of his boundaries
- Transmits information back to you using Wifi signals
- Has a portable circular range of 2 ½ acres
- Transmitter is ten times smaller than traditional transmitters
Priced and sold for $339, this is an expensive pet fence, but it does have a significantly larger range than most other systems, which is ideal if you live on a large piece of property. Users report that it is pretty effective except in yards that include metal roofs or outbuildings.
3. Havahart Wireless Radial-Shape Select Fence
One of the newest pet containment systems on the market, this program is easy to set up and use.
- Forms a circular boundary ranging from 40 to 400 feet in all directions. However, the manufacturer does report that it can cover up to 11 acres, more than any other pet fence.
- Allows you to customize correction method to tone or static
- Alerts your home if your dog has exceeded his boundaries
- Waterproof color that fits dogs with a neck size from 14 to 26 inches
Priced and sold for $299, this wireless pet fence is praised by reviewers who report that appreciate how easy it is to set it up and that it allows them to customize their options. Overall, users report it is very effective.
4. Invisible Underground Fence for Dog – 100 Levels Dog Shock Fence – Dog Fence Underground – Train all Breeds & Sizes Efficiently – 300 Meters of Fence Wire (0.8 acres) + 2 Rechargeable Collars – Ideal for Families with Several Pets – Long Life Battery Changing – Comes with Free eBook Guide on Dog Outdoor Training – 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
Once of the least expensive options available, it also comes with a 100% money back guarantee. Unfortunately, it is not wireless, but is a great option for anyone who doesn’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on a pet fence.
- 300 meters of fence wire that must be buried underground
- 100 shock levels
- Water resistant rechargeable collars
- Comes with 2 collars but can accommodate an unlimited number of dogs if you purchase additional collars
- Comes with instructional eBook
Priced at $127, you can purchase this dog fence for less than $100, which is a definite bargain compared to most on the market. Users report that it does take several hours to install, but it works well, especially when you consider the low cost. Overall, it is a good choice.
5. PetSafe PIF00-12917 Stay & Play Wireless Fence
The newest PetSafe fence on the market, this option is all about convenience for the owner and dog.
- Adjustable circular perimeter of up to ¾ acre
- 2 rechargeable collars designed for comfort
- Portable, lightweight transmitter
- Offers 5 static levels, as well as a tone only mode
Fits dogs weighing more than 5 pounds with necks ranging from 6 to 23 inches in sizePriced and sold for $470, there is no denying this model is expensive. However, if you are willing to spend the money, reviewers are sure you will appreciate it. One user reported that his lab and husky knew their perimeters and stopped approaching them within 1 week despite the fact hens were teasing them from only a few feet away.If it seems like you are constantly in a power struggle with your boundary testing dog, a wireless pet fence may be your best option for training him. Try any of the suggestions above and see how well it works for you.